- Step 1: Follow instructions Follow the instructions in the owner's manual for proper care and maintenance of your watch.
- Step 2: Protect from environment Do not submerge the watch in water. Protect it from high humidity.
- Step 3: Wind watch daily Wind a mechanical watch daily at a fixed time, taking care not to over-wind it. Pull on the knobs carefully when winding it.
- Step 4: Carry in safe pocket Carry an open-face watch in your pocket with the dial facing your body. Do not carry it with objects like keys that can cause scratches on the case or crystal.
- Step 5: Wipe clean Wipe a watch with a clean dry soft cloth before storing if it has a solid brass or stainless steel case.
- TIP: Wipe cases made of precious metals with a jeweler's cloth.
- Step 6: Get professionally cleaned Have mechanical watches cleaned and oiled every three to five years by a qualified watchmaker or by the watch's manufacturer.
- Step 7: Change battery Change the battery in quartz pocket watches every one to two years to keep your watch working like new.
- FACT: The first watch was invented in Nuremberg, Germany in 1509 by Peter Henlein.
You Will Need
- Pocket watch
- Owner's manual
- Water- and humidity-free environment
- Suitable pocket
- Dry cloth
- Watchmaker or manufacturer
- Jeweler's cloth (optional)