- Step 1: Tour the city the days before Take guided tours of the city's historic spots over the days leading up to the Fourth of July to get into the spirit.
- TIP: Grab a subway map: taking the subway is the cheapest and quickest way to navigate the city.
- Step 2: Visit Ground Zero Visit Ground Zero to honor those killed on September 11th, 2001.
- Step 3: Picnic in the Park Have a picnic in Central Park during the afternoon of the Fourth of July. There will be organized events with food and music, or you can find your own spot to picnic.
- Step 4: Watch the Hot Dog Eating Contest Go check out the famous annual International July Fourth Hot Dog Eating Contest on Coney Island. It's a great American tradition, and a fun time for the family.
- Step 5: View fireworks on the Hudson Go view the fireworks display on the Hudson river where tons of fireworks will be launched from several barges in the water. The New York Pops will also play during this celebration.
- Step 6: Find a bar Find a bar in nearby Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen, or the Upper West Side to cap off the night.
- FACT: The flag known as the "Betsy Ross Flag," which had the stars in a circle, wasn't developed until after Independence Day in the 1790's.
You Will Need
- Guided tours
- Picnic lunch
- Subway map (optional)