- Step 1: Sit on mat Sit on your mat with your legs extended in front of you.
- Step 2: Bend left knee Bend your left knee and bring the heel toward your groin, next to your right inner thigh. Try to keep your left knee on the ground.
- Step 3: Bend right knee Bend your right knee and bring your right foot towards your groin. Try to get your right heel over your left heel and then tuck the outer edge of your right foot, near the toes, in between the left calf and thigh.
- TIP: If you're having trouble keeping both knees in contact with the ground, try elevating your hips by sitting on a folded blanket or cushion.
- Step 4: Keep spine upright Keep the spine nice and upright—if you're feeling any pain in your knees, release the pose and sit in a comfortable cross-legged position instead.
- Step 5: Place hands Place the back of your hands on your knees, and form a circle with your index finger and thumb on both hands. Allow the other three fingers to point directly outward.
- Step 6: Breathe naturally Unless you are doing a breathing exercise, use the posture as an opportunity to let your breath be natural and focus your attention internally as you sit with your eyes closed.
- TIP: Stay in this position as long as you're comfortable, but try to maintain it for at least a minute or two.
- Step 7: Release pose Release the pose by uncrossing your right leg, and then your left leg.
- Step 8: Repeat pose Repeat the pose, bending your right heel in first, stacking your left heel on top of it. Hold the pose for the same number of minutes as you did with your legs reversed.
- Step 9: Release pose Release the pose by uncrossing your left and then your right leg, and stretch them out. They don't call it adept for nothing—keep it up and you'll be seriously skilled.
- FACT: Achieving this pose helps stretch your inner thighs and outer hips, releasing tension in a way that's beneficial to your spine.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket