- : Talk to your doctor before embarking on any regimen to conceive twins.
- Step 1: Embrace dairy and yams Eat dairy products on a regular basis. Research indicates that women who do may be up to five times more likely to have twins than vegans. And chow down on yams: They contain a chemical that may cause women to produce multiple eggs, which may be why twin rates are higher in some places where yams are a dietary staple.
- Step 2: Gain weight Consider gaining weight if you're underweight or normal weight. Women who have a body mass index of 30 and above have a better chance of having twins. But you better go on a diet after you give birth: 18.5 to 24.9 is considered a healthy BMI.
- Step 3: Plan a large family Get pregnant. Again. And again. Your odds of conceiving twins increase with each pregnancy.
- Step 4: Be older Try to get pregnant when you're over 35; older women have higher rates of multiple births. But don't intentionally delay having any children at all until then, or you could end up childless: Fertility decreases dramatically with age.
- TIP: It's possible, though not likely, to conceive naturally until about age 50.
- Step 5: Conceive during first post-pill cycle If you've been taking birth control pills, do your best to get pregnant during your first cycle off the pill; women who do may have a slightly higher chance of conceiving twins.
- FACT: One study found that women who gave birth to more than one baby at a time averaged an inch taller than the mean height of U.S. women.
You Will Need
- Dairy products
- Body fat
- Multiple pregnancies