- : Consult your doctor if you are having urination problems. Seek immediate medical treatment if you are unable to pass urine at all.
- Step 1: Urinate as needed Urinate as soon as you feel the urge. Try to urinate again a few moments later.
- TIP: Consult your doctor if you take diuretics.
- Step 2: Drink liquids in moderation Drink liquids in moderation, spreading out your fluid intake during the day. Do not drink liquids within two hours of bedtime.
- Step 3: Urinate at regular intervals Urinate at regular times during the day - preferably every four to six hours - to retrain the bladder.
- Step 4: Avoid alcohol and caffeine Avoid alcohol and caffeine, especially in the evening.
- Step 5: Avoid decongestants and antihistamines Avoid, as much as possible, over-the-counter cold and sinus medications that contain decongestants or antihistamines.
- Step 6: Avoid cold weather Avoid cold weather and try to stay warm. Cold temperatures can lead to urine retention.
- Step 7: Reduce stress Avoid unnecessary stress. If you are nervous or tense, you will need to urinate more frequently.
- FACT: Plant-derived substances such as saw palmetto have been widely used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia in Europe.
You Will Need
- A caffeine- and alcohol-free diet
- Cold medicines without decongestants or antihistamines
- Absence of stress
- Your doctor's advice about diuretics (optional)