- : Do not massage someone who recently experienced neck or shoulder injuries or who has pain.
- Step 1: Seat your partner Seat your partner facing backward in a chair. Then place a cushion between the chair and your partner's chest, padding the top of the chair as a chin rest.
- TIP: Perform the massage in a quiet location to enhance relaxation.
- Step 2: Position yourself Position yourself behind your partner. Then place your hands on the upper shoulder next to the neck, squeezing the muscles on each side of the neck until you reach the shoulder tops. Repeat several times.
- TIP: Stay relaxed when you give a neck and shoulder massage by lowering your shoulders, relaxing hands between sequences, and proceeding calmly.
- Step 3: Extend arms Extend your arms, laying one hand over the other. Then place your fingers along your partner's upper neck and rub in circles with your fingertips all the way down the shoulders. Repeat on the other side.
- Step 4: Stand to the side Stand to your partner's side. Then cup your hands around the upper neck, pressing into the side of the neck with your fingers and using your hands, knead the muscles down the neck. Repeat on the other side.
- Step 5: Complete Complete the massage by applying calming, rhythmic downward strokes moving from the shoulders down the back. Now, if you're lucky, your partner will return the favor and give you a soothing neck and shoulder massage.
- FACT: Massage can improve a number of health problems, including back pain, osteoarthritis, cancer symptoms and anxiety.
You Will Need
- Quiet location (optional)