- Step 1: Go to local farmers' market Head to your local farmers' market to purchase locally-grown or organic produce.
- Step 2: Choose organic meat Choose organic hot dogs, and free range meats and poultry for your barbecue feast.
- Step 3: Buy tableware Purchase biodegradable cups, recycled paper or plastic dishware, and recycled cutlery.
- Step 4: Save decorations Save and reuse all your 4th of July decorations at next year's bash.
- Step 5: Choose a gas grill Choose the gas grill over charcoal. Propane produces close to half the emissions of charcoal.
- Step 6: Recycle Recycle all glass, paper, and plastic.
- TIP: Check online for a recycling drop-off location in your area.
- Step 7: Use nitrogen fireworks Light up the sky by choosing fireworks that are rich in nitrogen. Nitrogen fireworks produce less smoke than traditional fireworks.
- FACT: A hot dog eating contest has been held every year since 1916 (with the exception of 1941 and 1971 due to protests) on the 4th of July at Nathan's Famous Coney Island in New York.
You Will Need
- Farmers' market
- Organic food
- Gas grill
- Recycle bins
- Nitrogen fireworks
- Internet access (optional)