- Step 1: Choose the right style Choose the right style -- either straight, skinny, or super-skinny. A low rise, straight cut is the closest to a boot cut and the easiest to wear. If you're already comfortable in a straight cut, try skinny or super-skinny. And look for back pockets the right size and design to flatter your behind.
- TIP: Try on as many brands as possible. The cut can vary widely from one designer to another.
- Step 2: Get the right wash Get the most flattering wash. Generally, the darker the wash the thinner you'll look, which is why black and other dark-wash jeans flatter most figures.
- Step 3: Wear the right top Wear the right top. A long, lean top that ends at your hips or below is ideal. If you have wide hips, opt for a hip-length empire waist top, tunic, or boyfriend blazer to balance the silhouette. Straight, boyish figures will look best in a figure-hugging jersey shirt or tee.
- TIP: A rule of thumb is, the slimmer the leg, the fuller the top.
- Step 4: Finish with footwear Finish the look with the right footwear. Skinnies tucked into knee-high, high-heeled boots is always flattering and chic. High heeled peep-toe pumps, ankle booties, or gladiator sandals are also a good choice if you are especially curvy or petite. If you're very tall with boyish hips, ballerina flats or other flat shoes will do the trick.
- Step 5: Lengthen your look Lengthen your figure by rocking a monochromatic look with a dark top, jeans, and shoes or boots.
- FACT: It takes between 400 and 500 gallons of water to grow enough cotton to make a pair of jeans.
You Will Need
- Right style
- Right wash
- Right top
- Right footwear