- Step 1: Remove nonperishable items Remove items that don't need refrigeration. Food items such as tomatoes, onions, and potatoes can be kept at room temperature.
- Step 2: Group taller items together Group taller items toward the back so you can see the items in the front.
- TIP: Stand all bottles upright to prevent spills.
- Step 3: Keep meat on bottom Keep all meat in the bottom drawer. This will prevent cross-contamination through any drippings.
- Step 4: Keep vegetables in crisper Keep all fruits and vegetables in the salad crisper.
- Step 5: Store leftovers Store leftovers in airtight containers.
- TIP: Label each container with a date.
- Step 6: Store condiments Put items that will not spoil with changing temperatures, such as condiments, in the door compartment.
- Step 7: Go through refrigerator Go through your refrigerator on a weekly basis. Throw away items that are past the due date. Enjoy the ease of an organized refrigerator.
- FACT: A refrigerator should be set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or less to protect food from bacteria growth.
You Will Need
- Airtight containers
- Labels (optional)