- Step 1: Color Earth-themed drawings Draw or color pictures with Earth Day themes if the weather does not permit an outdoor activity.
- Step 2: Write a haiku poem Have the class write haiku nature poems based on seasonal observations.
- TIP: Haiku poems have 17 syllables and describe an observation in nature.
- Step 3: Make school grounds eco-friendly Explore and implement ways to make your school grounds more eco-friendly to wildlife.
- TIP: Plant a variety of trees on the school grounds as a class activity.
- Step 4: Recycle cans Start an aluminum can recycling program at your school if one does not already exist. Pick up cans in the neighborhood and on the school grounds. Know that your students or your kids will leave class with more environmental awareness.
- FACT: The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970 in response to growing concern about environmental issues.
You Will Need
- Drawing materials
- Pen and paper
- Observations of nature and local wildlife
- Tree seedlings
- Recyclable aluminum cans