- Step 1: Get started Remove the iPad from its box, connect it to your computer, and activate it with the latest version of iTunes and your iTunes account. Then, transfer media and other information from your computer to your iPad to access files when you're on the go -- just like an iPod, iPod Touch, or iPhone.
- Step 2: Touch the screen Eject the iPad from your computer and start using it! Press either the Home or Power button to turn on the 9.7-inch, interactive touch screen. Then, slide your finger across the screen to unlock the device and watch it automatically adjust its orientation depending on how you position it. Use the Lock button on the side to set your viewing orientation.
- TIP: A fully charged battery gives you up to 10 hours of use.
- Step 3: Go online Connect the iPad to a local wireless network; then, tap Safari and use the built-in keyboard to start browsing the web. Want to scroll to the top of a page quickly? Tap the title bar. Need to zoom in or out? Spread or pinch two fingers over a given picture or piece of text.
- TIP: Though the iPad can't play online videos encoded with Flash, it's compatible with other popular formats, including those used in YouTube.
- Step 4: Access your inbox Use Wi-Fi to access e-mail on the iPad, too. Tap the Mail icon, input basic information, and load your inbox. Hold the iPad vertically for a full-screen view of one message or turn the device horizontally to show your inbox and messages simultaneously.
- Step 5: Entertain yourself Tap Photos to view either individual pictures or entire photo albums; select iPod and Videos to access music, movies, and TV shows loaded from your computer or iTunes; and download Apple's iBooks app to build a virtual library you can read right on the device.
- TIP: Press the Home button to return to the home screen at any time.
- Step 6: Keep discovering Tap the App Store icon and find even more programs that use the iPad's interactive screen and high-speed processor to make it a truly useful and creative tool. Increase your productivity, become more media savvy, or just have fun -- with the iPad, there's a whole world of new technology to explore.
- FACT: Users downloaded over 1 million apps from Apple's App Store on the first day of the iPad's release.
You Will Need
- Latest version of iTunes
- iTunes account
- Wireless connection