- Step 1: Brainstorm words Take some alone time for yourself and begin brainstorming. Write down any words that come to your mind when you think of your father.
- Step 2: Describe memories Write down any special memories you have shared with your dad.
- Step 3: Write about your father Write down some of your father's personality traits.
- Step 4: Begin your poem Begin writing your poem using the words in your brainstorming session to help you express your true feelings about your father.
- TIP: Poems do not have to rhyme.
- Step 5: Piece together Organize your thoughts and piece the words together. Play with the wording until you are happy with the results. Break up sentences to emphasize a word or phrase at the end of a line.
- TIP: Use a thesaurus and dictionary to help you express your thoughts.
- Step 6: Read it out loud Read your poem out loud. Once you are satisfied with your priceless gift, write it on a fresh piece of paper. Decorate the paper if you wish and enjoy watching your father's face light up as he reads your poem.
- FACT: The world's longest poem is an Indian poem that was started in 300 B.C.E. and is over 1.8 million words long.
You Will Need
- Pencil and paper
- Thesaurus (optional)
- Dictionary (optional)