- Step 1: Tape paper to floor Tape a piece of paper onto the floor. Make sure the paper is longer than your foot.
- Step 2: Place toweling on floor Wear socks and stand on the paper. Then draw outlines of each of your feet.
- TIP: Measure your feet at the end of the day when they're larger.
- Step 3: Measure length Use a measuring tape or ruler to measure from your heel to the tip of your longest toe and add 1/4 inch to that measurement for your shoe size.
- Step 4: Measure width Measure the width of your foot at its widest section, typically the ball. Add a 1/4 inch to that measurement as well.
- Step 5: Use measurements and size chart for size Refer to a size chart to help determine the size of shoe you should try on.
- Step 6: Stand and walk in shoes Stand and walk around in the shoes to see how well they fit. They shouldn't gap or buckle and there should be a half a thumb's length from your longest toe to the edge of the shoe.
- Step 7: Add arch support and padding Make shoes more comfortable by adding arch supports, heel cushions, or ball cushions. Well-fitting shoes will put pep in your step.
- FACT: Nearly nine out of 10 women wear shoes that are too small.
You Will Need
- Piece of paper
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Shoe size chart
- Arch supports
- heel cushions
- or ball cushions