- : Always follow the manufacturer's directions when using a power drill. Safety glasses are advised when drilling in friable matter.
- Step 1: Insert a drill bit Insert the chuck key into the small hole on the side of the chuck and turn it counterclockwise until the chuck can accommodate the drill bit. Slide a bit into the chuck.
- TIP: Turn off the power to the drill when fitting or removing a bit.
- Step 2: Secure the bit Turn the key in a clockwise direction to tighten the chuck. Make sure the bit is secured tightly.
- Step 3: Mark the drilling position Mark the position where you intend to drill. Use a hammer and nail punch to produce a small indentation at that point. This will prevent the drill from slipping.
- Step 4: Start drilling Turn on the power to the drill. Position the tip of the drill bit in the indentation, and start drilling at a low speed. Increase the speed of the drill gradually.
- TIP: Keep both hands on the drill as you apply pressure to the trigger. Keep the drill perpendicular to the object you are drilling into.
- Step 5: Remove the drill Stop the drill when you have drilled to your desired depth. Remove the drill bit from the hole with the bit rotating at a slow speed.
- FACT: In 2009, CIA interrogators were accused of threatening prisoners with power drills.
You Will Need
- Safety glasses
- Chuck key
- Drill bit
- Nail punch