- Step 1: Do some research Research different types of ballroom dance styles. Choose one you want to learn.
- Step 2: Call local dance studios Call local dance studios or community education centers and sign up for a beginner's class.
- Step 3: Wear loose clothing Wear loose, comfortable clothing and shoes.
- TIP: Proper ballroom dance shoes will not be required at your first class but your instructor may recommend a pair later on.
- Step 4: Show up to class Show up at the first class and bring your confidence. Each class will get easier once you have mastered the basics.
- TIP: Usually you will not need a partner. You will switch off during the class and end up dancing with everyone.
- Step 5: Continue to improve Keep attending classes to continue improving your skills. Eventually you'll be swinging your partner around the floor with ease.
- FACT: Fred Astaire earned the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1981 from the American Film Institute.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Dance instructor
- Ballroom dancing shoes (optional)