- Step 1: Use measuring cap Use the measuring cap that comes with the liquid medicine. These are marked with the correct dosage for adults and children.
- TIP: Don't use kitchen spoons to measure dosage. Participants in a study under-dosed by 8.4 percent when using medium-sized spoons and overdosed by 11.6 percent when using larger spoons.
- Step 2: Keep a dosage spoon Keep a dosage spoon on hand. If you've lost the measuring cap or your medicine doesn't come with one, you'll still be able to accurately measure your dose.
- TIP: Clean the spoon with soap and water between uses.
- Step 3: Try a measuring dropper Try a measuring dropper or dosing syringe to get the right dose, especially when treating small children. Rest easy, knowing that you and your loved ones got the right amount of medicine.
- FACT: Spoon dosing is one of the major causes of pediatric poisonings.
You Will Need
- Measuring cap
- Dosing spoon
- Measuring dropper
- Dosing syringe
- Soap and water (optional)