- Step 1: Hold each end Hold one end of a rope in your right hand and one end in your left to prepare to tie the knot.
- Step 2: Loop right over left Loop the right end over the left end all the way around.
- Step 3: Loop left over right Loop the left end, formerly the right end, over the right end all the way around.
- Step 4: Pull on four strands Pull on all four strands at the same time that extend from the knot created. This should tighten the knot into place, resulting in a proper square knot.
- FACT: Rope-making technology used by Ancient Egyptians in 2500 B.C.E. is still practiced today.
You Will Need
- Two pieces of rope or one rope with two free ends