- Step 1: Buy an airtight sealed plastic food container Buy an airtight sealed plastic food container if you decide to make your own cigar travel humidor for a day trip.
- Step 2: Place 3-5 cigars in a plastic sandwich bag Place three to five cigars in a plastic sandwich bag. Place a small damp paper towel in the bag, seal the bag, and put the cigars in the food container.
- TIP: Individual good cigars sold in a tube or "tubo" are usually properly humidified and won't require a travel humidor.
- Step 3: Shop for a travel humidor at a tobacconist Shop for a travel humidor at a tobacconist if you're a frequent traveler. It should fit your preferred cigar size and shape, and withstand repeated opening and closing.
- TIP: Check that the travel humidor comes with a humidifier device.
- Step 4: Season your travel humidor Season your travel humidor. Soak the humidifier in distilled water, place it in the humidor, and close it.
- TIP: If you buy a leather travel humidor, make sure that it's lined so your cigars won't have a leathery taste.
- Step 5: Buy a hygrometer to measure humidor temperature Buy a hygrometer to monitor the humidor's temperature on longer trips. The recommended humidor interior temperature is 70 percent humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- FACT: Fidel Castro believed that the CIA was trying to assassinate him by getting him to smoke an exploding cigar.
You Will Need
- Airtight sealed plastic food container
- 3-5 cigars
- Plastic sandwich bag
- Small damp paper towel
- Commercial travel humidor
- Distilled water