- Step 1: Build a monument Build a stone monument. The ancient structures at Stonehenge in Britain were aligned to permit determination of the equinox.
- Step 2: Weigh yourself Weigh yourself. On the day of the fall equinox, the sun enters the sign of Libra, the constellation of scales.
- Step 3: Sacrifice an effigy Construct a wicker effigy and sacrifice it in the spirit of the Druids, who marked the fall equinox with a mock sacrifice of the vegetation deity.
- TIP: The Burning Man Project, held each year in the Nevada desert, is a re-enactment of this ritual.
- Step 4: Have some grapes Enjoy some grapes or a glass of wine. In France, the grape harvest traditionally coincided with the fall equinox.
- Step 5: Honor your ancestors Honor your ancestors. In Japan, visits were traditionally made to family graves at the time of the autumnal equinox. However you celebrate the beginning of fall, make sure the memories will warm you through the cooling months ahead.
- FACT: Equinox comes from a Latin word meaning equal night.
You Will Need
- Grapes or wine
- Burning Man (optional)