- Step 1: Select a simple project idea Select a simple project idea. The idea will often arise as a question you've asked that you must test in order to find the answer.
- TIP: Keep your idea narrowly focused. Otherwise the project will be too open-ended.
- Step 2: Perform background research Perform background research about your idea. Learn the core ideas and vocabulary.
- Step 3: Develop an hypothesis Develop a testable hypothesis. The hypothesis should be an educated guess about something that could be observed in an experiment.
- Step 4: Design and perform an experiment Design and carry out a simple experiment to test the hypothesis.
- TIP: Keep careful notes about what you do and what you observe during the experiment.
- Step 5: Analyze your data Analyze your data using the background information you gathered earlier and draw a conclusion.
- FACT: The word science comes from the Latin word for "to know."
You Will Need
- Project idea
- Background research
- Data analysis
- Narrow focus (optional)
- Detailed notes (optional)