- Step 1: Ask questions Ask specific and direct questions to make it hard for verbal people to take the conversation into another direction, and take control.
- Step 2: Acknowledge Acknowledge the conversation stealer by restating what they said and then invite others to respond.
- Step 3: Ask others Mention another person's name other than the dominator and ask that person a question.
- Step 4: Interrupt Interrupt the conversation dominator and encourage others to share their opinions.
- TIP: Gently and politely interrupt the conversation dominator.
- Step 5: Move on State that you have heard their point but it is now time to move on.
- Step 6: Speak privately If all else fails, speak to the dominant speaker privately and share your concerns.
- FACT: Fifty-five percent of communication is expressed through body language and only 7 percent is verbal.
You Will Need
- Communication skills