- Step 1: Choose a tattoo Decide on the type of tattoo you would like. Print or draw a picture to bring to potential tattoo studios.
- Step 2: Ask for recommendations Pick your family and friends' brains for recommendations for tattoo parlors and artists they know or have heard about.
- Step 3: Research parlors and artists Research the recommendations given to you or search for additional parlors in your area. Look at portfolios of each artist at a particular studio to see if they have the skills you are looking for.
- TIP: Many tattoo artists have specialized skills in different styles of tattoos. Choosing an artist with expertise in your chosen style will pay off in the long run.
- Step 4: Make some calls Call one or two parlors that pique your interest and ask questions about artists who you may be looking to meet.
- Step 5: Schedule a meeting Schedule a meeting with the shop manager or a specific artist to check out the shop and talk about tattoo ideas.
- Step 6: Look around Look closely at the tattoo parlor and its level of cleanliness. Examine any portfolios lying around, and observe any customers currently being tattooed.
- Step 7: Choose a shop or artist Choose a tattoo shop that will fit your needs and has a comfortable feeling.
- Step 8: Make an appointment Make an appointment to get that awesome art and enjoy the experience of getting your ink masterpiece.
- FACT: Thirty-nine states in the U.S. have laws that prohibit minors from getting tattoos.
You Will Need
- Tattoo design
- Tattoo parlor visits