- Step 1: Conduct a simple search Type a person's name or a topic into the Search box on the C-SPAN video library's home page. Use quotation marks if you know the person's first and last name, or if the subject you're looking for is a phrase: it helps pinpoint your results.
- TIP: If you're only looking for House or Senate floor debates, click on "Congress" to search the Congressional Chronicle.
- Step 2: Check out search results Check out the search results, organized by Person, Program, and Transcript. Clicking on Person takes you to their Video Library biography page, which lists all their C-SPAN video appearances by year. Program results list C-SPAN videos that contain your search term in their titles, summaries, or other fields. Transcripts feature results in which your search term appears in the actual text of a program's transcript.
- TIP: When you click on a Transcript result, you're taken right to the specific part of the video that contains your search term.
- Step 3: Narrow your search If you haven’t gotten the search results you expected, use the tools shown on the left-hand side of the page to focus further. Specify a date or time period, and leave only the topics and categories that interest you checked off.
- Step 4: Search more than one name or phrase You can also search a name and a topic or phrase to find out who said what about a subject you're interested in.
- Step 5: Do an Advanced Search For even more targeted results, conduct an Advanced Search; use the All Fields drop-down menu on the left to choose which fields to search. You can even search 2 or more of the same fields at once.
- Step 6: Use and enjoy Whether you're looking for a national event that happened yesterday, or want historical context from 20 years ago, with the C-SPAN Video Library's powerful search tools and extensive database, you'll find what you're looking for in minutes. It's never been easier to connect to Washington, your way.
- FACT: The C-SPAN Video Library contains more than 400 speeches by Supreme Court justices.
You Will Need