- Step 1: Identify fears Identify your fears and write them down on a piece of paper.
- Step 2: Evaluate your thinking Change the way you think about a fear by understanding what causes the anxiety. Identify which parts of the fear cause the most to the least anxiety.
- Step 3: Plan Make a plan for overcoming your fears. Make small, realistic goals.
- Step 4: Face your fears Confront your fears.
- TIP: Focus on increasing frequency, intensity, and duration when facing your fears.
- Step 5: Challenge yourself Confront the fear until you become distressed. Challenge yourself to endure the situation. When it becomes unbearable, separate yourself from the fear.
- Step 6: Seek help Seek professional help if your fears affect your daily life.
- Step 7: Be persistent Be persistent. The more you confront them, the easier they will be to handle the next time.
- FACT: In the United States, approximately 18 million adults have social phobia.
You Will Need
- Pen and paper
- Professional help