- Step 1: Watch the American Idol performance show Watch the contestants sing as part of the American Idol performance show on the FOX network.
- Step 2: Choose who you want to vote for Choose which contestant you want to vote to keep on the show for another week. Pick the one you think is the best singer, or the one you think is the worst singer.
- TIP: Remember that voting is limited to people in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Step 3: Note the contestant's phone number Note your contestant's toll-free phone number and the text message short code number when they are announced at the end of their performance, or at the end of the show when the numbers are repeated.
- Step 4: Call to vote for that contestant Wait until the end of the American Idol program and call your favorite contestant's phone number to vote for them.
- TIP: Try calling an hour after the show ends if you keep getting a busy signal. Lines are open for two hours, but most calls come in the first 45 minutes of voting.
- Step 5: Text to vote for that contestant Text the word "Vote" to the short code number for that contestant to vote if you are an AT&T customer, but remember that charges will be applied to your cell phone bill if you don't have a plan that includes texting.
- Step 6: Continue voting for two hours Continue voting by phone or text as many times as you'd like for two hours after the show ends.
- Step 7: Watch the results show Watch the results show and see if your favorite contestant sticks around for another week of competition and ultimately becomes the next American Idol.
- FACT: Kelly Clarkson was not only the first American Idol, but also the first person from the show to win a Grammy Award. In 2006, she won the Grammys for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album.
You Will Need
- AT&T cell phone plan