- Step 1: Turn skirt inside out Turn the skirt inside out, fold the hem up 1 inch and pin it into place.
- Step 2: Sew the hem Sew the hem into place using the sewing machine, removing the pins as you go. Leave a small hole where you can feed elastic into the hem.
- Step 3: Cut elastic Cut a length of elastic the size of your waist or hips, depending on where you want the folded hem to reach.
- Step 4: Feed elastic into hem Pin one end of the elastic to the opening of the hole in the hem. Then feed the elastic into the hem until the other end comes out of the hole.
- Step 5: Sew elastic ends Sew the ends together with a needle and thread and close the hole in the hem.
- Step 6: Turn right side out and try Turn the skirt right side out and put it on. Fold the hem under so that the elastic hem is hidden.
- TIP: When the skirt goes out of fashion, remove the elastic and wear it as you did before.
- Step 7: Raise hem Lift the elastic hem along your body to shorten the skirt to your desired length. Go out for a fun night wearing your new bubble skirt.
- FACT: In the early 1900s, women wore skirts that were wide at the bottom to accommodate walking or riding a bike.
You Will Need
- Knee-length or longer skirt
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- 1 yd. elastic
- Needle and matching thread