- Step 1: Visit the Federal Business Opportunities (FBO) website Visit the Federal Business Opportunities (FBO) website run by the General Services Administration. Search their database to preview opportunities.
- TIP: The GSA also offers opportunities to sell your products or services to the military through its Federal Acquisitions Service.
- Step 2: Register your company info at the CCR database Register your company info at the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) online database. Get a CCR number.
- Step 3: Apply for a DUNS number Apply for a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number at Dun & Bradstreet's website. DUNS is required for FBO database vendor registration.
- Step 4: Enter your DUNS number at the FBO database Enter your nine-digit DUNS number at the FBO database for vendor registration. Then create a database password and enter your company's information.
- TIP: Read the fbo.gov's Vendor Guide available at their website, especially for first-time government contractors.
- Step 5: Search the FBO database for opportunities Search the FBO database for business opportunities. Click on an individual opportunity's link and read details of products or services requested.
- TIP: Opportunity details can include the contract's maximum bid amount and the required time period of performance.
- Step 6: Submit an electronic response Submit an electronic response if the opportunity includes a response link. Responses are typically entered via an online form or via a document upload. Click on an "interested vendors list" if the opportunity allows for this function. Click on "add me to interested vendors."
- Step 7: Visit Business.gov for state opportunities Visit business.gov for links to state-specific vendor contracting agencies such as Georgia's Department of Administrative Services. Now you've tapped a whole new opportunity for your business.
- FACT: Senator John McCain recently criticized the federal government for giving $1.8 million for a research project to study pig odors.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- CCR number
- DUNS number