- Step 1: Select a good topic Select a topic that you personally find interesting. Make sure that the project will be easy and fun to carry out.
- TIP: Choose a well-defined topic. Otherwise, the project may become overwhelming.
- Step 2: Do research Learn as much about the topic as you can. Look for equations and concepts that will explain your results.
- Step 3: Develop a research plan Develop a research plan. The plan should describe the purpose of the experiment, the independent variables, your hypothesis, how you will conduct the experiment, and how you will evaluate the data.
- Step 4: Assemble your materials Assemble everything you will need, including a research notebook.
- Step 5: Perform the experiment Perform the experiment. Take thorough notes about what you observe, and then organize your notes and analyze your data.
- TIP: If you run into difficulties, be persistent until you find a solution. This will impress the judges.
- Step 6: Prepare a summary report and display Prepare a detailed report, summarizing your experiment. Create an eye-catching display for the science fair, and try to be modest when you accept your award.
- FACT: Science Talent Search has been holding high school science fairs since 1942. First prize in 2010 was $100,000.
You Will Need
- Interesting topic
- Research plan
- Assembled materials
- Summary report
- Well-defined topic (optional)
- Persistence (optional)