- Step 1: Create a routine Set a dependable routine that trains your puppy to eat, to go for a walk, and to use the potty at specific times during the day.
- Step 2: Set up an outside area Set up an outside potty area for your puppy to use and put them out frequently, especially after eating and drinking.
- TIP: Use a leash the first few times to escort your furry friend to the right area.
- Step 3: Repeat a consistent phrase Repeat a consistent phrase to let your puppy know it is time to use the bathroom, and reward them with food or a new toy right after they go.
- TIP: Don't punish or scream at your puppy when they have an accident indoors. All this will teach them is to fear you, not potty outside.
- Step 4: Keep an eye on your dog Keep a close eye on your puppy and if you sense they have to go, put them outside in the potty area immediately.
- TIP: Place soiled towels in the potty area as the smell will teach your puppy to go there.
- Step 5: Be patient and consistent Be patient and consistent with your training and give it several weeks, depending on the puppy's personality and intelligence. You've done yourself and your dog a big favor.
- FACT: Rottweilers and golden retrievers are among the most intelligent dog breeds while the beagle, basset hound, and bulldog are ranked the lowest.
You Will Need
- Soiled towels
- Leash (optional)