- Step 1: Download Handbrake Download a video transcoder for free. Install the program by following the software's prompts.
- TIP: There are many available that are compatible with Mac OS X and Windows XP, Vista, or 7.
- Step 2: Insert the DVD Insert your DVD and open the video transcoder program. Select your DVD from the Source menu.
- TIP: If your computer's DVD player automatically starts, close the player, but leave the DVD in the computer.
- Step 3: Select presets Select a preset on the right of the screen. Transcoder programs provide presets for AppleTV, the iPod, QuickTime, and more. In addition, customize and save your created presets.
- Step 4: Start ripping Start ripping the DVD by pressing the start button. The speed of the copying will vary depending on your DVD drive's speed. Either way, a status bar will pop up to let you know the progress.
- Step 5: Add the video to iTunes Add the video to iTunes by opening iTunes and dragging the file into your library. Once the video is in your library, connect your iPod and drag the file to your iPod. Now you can carry your bulky DVDs in your pocket and watch them anywhere.
- FACT: The 5th Generation iPod, also known as the Video iPod, was the first to include video and boasted a 2.5-inch screen for viewing.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- iPod cable