- Step 1: Download FTP software Download free or trial versions of FTP software, if you don't already have it, from a reputable technology website.
- Step 2: Find the date of a company's filing Find the date of a company's filing by doing a search via EDGAR's online database. You can search by company name or Central Index Key or CIK number.
- Step 3: Open the FTP software Open the FTP software and connect to ftp.sec.gov, EDGAR's FTP server. Log in as "anonymous." Enter your e-mail address as your password.
- TIP: The SEC recommends that larger FTP information file transfers occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Eastern time.
- Step 4: Find the company's filing date Find the company's filing date within a time period in the EDGAR FTP server's "daily index" files or "full-index" files.
- Step 5: Download the corporate filing information Download the corporate filing information made during the time period when your targeted company or companies filed with EDGAR.
- TIP: EDGAR has a concurrent limit of 30 connections for FTP retrievals.
- Step 6: Extract or unzip the compressed files Extract or unzip the compressed files using decompression software. Files are in .zip format for PC and .sit format for Mac.
- FACT: The first written complaint to the SEC regarding Ponzi scheme mastermind Bernard Madoff was made as early as 1999.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- FTP software
- File decompression software