- Step 1: Learn computer chess terms Learn computer chess terms. An engine is a part of a chess program responsible for game play. A chess user interface is a game's graphic representation.
- TIP: A chess user interface program is separate from, yet complementary to, the chess engine.
- Step 2: Buy a commercial version of Zappa Buy a commercial version of Zappa or download an older version for free.
- TIP: Zappa can only be used with Linux or operating systems running at least Windows 2000.
- Step 3: Download Zappa Download Zappa. See an archive file containing four versions of the Zappa engine. Save the archive to your computer desktop.
- Step 4: Open a designation folder on your computer Open a folder on your computer that will be the designated location for the engine. Drag one of the engines from the archive to the opened folder.
- Step 5: Download a chess user interface program Download a chess user interface (CUI) program.
- TIP: Shredder offers a free 30-day trial of their program. Arena is a free CUI program.
- Step 6: Open the chess user interface program Open the chess user interface (CUI) program to install Zappa. Note that Zappa installation processes can vary between CUIs.
- Step 7: Play a game of Zappa computer chess Play a game of Zappa computer chess and dream of becoming a chess master.
- FACT: Zappa developer Anthony Cozzie named his chess engine after Moon Unit Zappa, Frank Zappa's daughter.
You Will Need
- Computer running Windows or Linux
- Internet access
- Zappa chess engine program