- Step 1: Release cloves Pull away the cloves from the bulb of garlic.
- Step 2: Peel the skin Peel the skin from the individual cloves by cutting off the stem and then pressing down on the clove with a side of a knife blade. Remove the skin after it releases.
- Step 3: Smash the clove Smash the peeled clove with the side of the knife to start to break it apart.
- Step 4: Rock a knife Rock the blade of a large knife back and forth quickly across the smashed garlic, using your free hand to steady the top of your blade. Continue chopping until the garlic is minced.
- TIP: Add salt to the garlic before you chop. Salt acts as an abrasive and can help the garlic break down more easily.
- Step 5: Do it the easy way Use a garlic press to save time. Peel the cloves and pass them through the press, using a knife to trim away any garlic that clings. A microplane grater can also work wonders, allowing you to grate tiny pieces of garlic in no time.
- FACT: Garlic is rich in antioxidants, which help destroy cancer-causing free radicals in the body.
You Will Need
- Garlic bulb
- Cutting board
- Garlic press
- Microplane grater
- Salt (optional)