- Step 1: Wash hands frequently Wash your hands frequently. It's vital to follow this rule to avoid infecting yourself with germs picked up through contact with people and germ-laden surfaces.
- TIP: Scrub hands for at least 15 seconds with soap and water to wash away germs.
- Step 2: Use hand sanitizers Use hand sanitizers to avoid germs when soap and water are unavailable.
- TIP: Carry hand sanitizers in your purse or pocket and use them generously, or try antimicrobial wipes or moist towelettes if they are more convenient.
- Step 3: Avoid touching Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with your hands to prevent infection from germs.
- Step 4: Monitor public pools Monitor public pool and hot tub cleanliness by asking staff how frequently pools and tub are cleaned and how often the chemical balance is measured.
- Step 5: Wipe exercise equipment Wipe down exercise equipment at the gym before and after a workout.
- Step 6: Sit near the front of an airplane Sit near the front of an airplane when flying where ventilation is optimized to evade airborne germs eager to travel home with passengers.
- Step 7: Make it a habit Make it a habit to cough or sneeze into your hands or a tissue, then wash your hands afterward. Always wash your hands after using the bathroom. You may not save the planet from the next pandemic, but you will create a healthier environment for you and those around you.
- FACT: Apollo 11 astronauts were quarantined when they arrived back on earth to prevent the possible spread of moon germs.
You Will Need
- Hand sanitizer
- Antimicrobial wipes (optional)