- Step 1: Shave and rinse Shave and then rinse your face and neck with warm water to wash off the soap or shaving cream.
- Step 2: Shrink your pores Rinse your face and neck with cool water next to help close up your pores before you apply the aftershave.
- TIP: Do not apply aftershave immediately after you have finished shaving since doing so might make your skin sore or irritated.
- Step 3: Dry your face Pat your face and neck dry gently with a towel.
- Step 4: Choose your aftershave Choose an aftershave type, such as a soothing balm or an invigorating splash of cologne, based on desired results. If you like a sharp, tingling sensation, choose an alcohol-based aftershave; if you like a cooling sensation, try a lotion- or cream-based aftershave.
- TIP: Avoid products with perfumes and other unnecessary ingredients if you have sensitive skin. Select aftershaves specially made for sensitive skin.
- Step 5: Apply lightly Squeeze or spray a small amount of aftershave into your palm, rub your hands together, and then apply the aftershave to your shaved area, including your neck. Use only a small dime-sized amount to avoid overdoing the cologne scent -- and get on your way to start the day!
- FACT: The Roman emperor Hadrian, who lived from 117-138 CE, revived the bearded look by being the first emperor to sport a beard and mustache.
You Will Need
- Soap and water
- Favorite type of aftershave
- Ability to use aftershave in moderation
- Aftershave for sensitive skin (optional)