- Step 1: Evaluate time, energy, and money Evaluate the time, energy, and money you wish to invest in creating a scrapbook cover; then budget each accordingly.
- Step 2: Consider cover options Consider cover options, then decide whether you want to decorate a purchased album or to make a scrapbook cover from scratch.
- Step 3: Decorate a purchased album Decorate a purchased album with paint, and glue on die-cut images, glitter, ribbon, and charms.
- TIP: Adhere rub-on letters to scrapbook covers to add names, dates, or sayings.
- Step 4: Make a cover from scratch Make a scrapbook cover from scratch starting with a sturdy, thick, and flat material such as card stock, vinyl, acrylic, wood, or leather.
- Step 5: Wrap the cover Wrap the cover in fabric, leave it as is, or glue plain or patterned paper stock to the cover material; then decorate it with your choice of embellishments.
- TIP: Make sure the embellishments are durable enough to withstand wear from handling.
- Step 6: Bind cover and pages Bind the cover and pages by punching holes in the cover aligned with page holes -- then use o-rings to hold it all together. Your treasure is complete and ready for a place of honor on the bookshelf.
- FACT: Friendship albums featured personal sayings and drawings and were passed between friends in the 1800s.
You Will Need
- Purchased album cover or sturdy flat material
- Paper stock
- Hole punch
- Rub-on letters (optional)