- Step 1: Draw Draw an outline of your tombstone with a black marker onto a Styrofoam sheet. Cut out your tombstone.
- Step 2: Draw design Draw your letters and desired design onto the face of the tombstone.
- TIP: Create your own designs or research historical tombstones for ideas.
- Step 3: Carve Carve out your design with a knife or wood-burning tool.
- Step 4: Paint Spray your tombstone with gray paint. Let it dry.
- Step 5: Dip sponge Dip a sea sponge first into the white paint, then the black paint, and then dab the sponge onto a piece of paper towel. Blot the tombstone with the sea sponge. Repeat until the entire tombstone has been blotted. Allow to dry.
- Step 6: Paint Paint the carved areas with black paint and let dry.
- Step 7: Make stand Push half of the dowel into the bottom and center of the tombstone. Push the other half of the dowel into the ground to secure the tombstone. Add some spooky lighting, props like a monster glove coming out of the ground, and other details to give your visitors a creepy and memorable Halloween.
- FACT: Halloween originated from the Celtic holiday honoring the dead and was commonly referred to as All Hallows Eve.
You Will Need
- Black marker
- 20 in. x 40 in. Styrofoam sheet
- Woodburning tool or knife
- Gray craft spray paint
- Sea sponge
- White and black acrylic paint
- Paper towel
- 24 in. dowel