- Step 1: Purchase a crop Purchase a riding crop -- a regular size whip, for equitation or jumping. Consider one without a strap to prevent injury to yourself.
- TIP: Riding crops and longer whips are used to correct faults in a horse's posture, movement, or understanding of a command. They are never used on a horse with excessive force.
- Step 2: Purchase a dressage whip Select a dressage whip if you will be riding in dressage competitions. This whip is longer than a crop.
- Step 3: Purchase a lunge whip Select a lunge whip if you want a whip that can be cracked in the air to draw the horse's attention. This long whip is used on the ground and never comes in contact with the horse.
- Step 4: Purchase a jockey's whip Select a jockey's whip if you will be racing your horse. This whip is wider at the end than other whips, and makes a lot of noise when it comes in contact with the horse. Like other whips, however, it does not hurt the horse.
- FACT: Riding crops and other riding whips are made of a flexible material such as fiberglass and coated with leather.
You Will Need
- Dressage whip
- Lunge whip
- Jockey whip