- Step 1: Ensure the helmet meets safety standards Ensure the helmet meets official U.S. safety standards by purchasing a helmet that is marked with the ASTM/SEI logo.
- TIP: Never wear a bike or skateboarding helmet for horse riding.
- Step 2: Choose the style Choose the style of helmet depending on the type of riding you will be participating in.
- Step 3: Choose size correctly Purchase a helmet that is the correct size and that fits properly.
- TIP: Avoid purchasing a used helmet.
- Step 4: Get an adjustable dial fit system Get an adjustable dial fit system and a three-point retention harness to ensure a snug, comfortable fit.
- Step 5: Keep cool Keep cool when you ride by opting for a helmet with vent ports to allow air circulation.
- Step 6: Look for removable headliner Look for a headliner that is removable and washable -- your helmet will last longer with proper maintenance.
- Step 7: Get a durable outer shell Get a lightweight, durable outer shell that comes in a color that expresses your style and personality. Hi-yo Silver, away!
- FACT: A blanket of 554 red roses is awarded to the winner of the Kentucky Derby.
You Will Need
- ASTM/SEI logo
- Correct size and fit
- Adjustable dial fit system
- 3-point retention harness
- Vent ports
- Removable headliner
- durable shell