- Step 1: Organize your thoughts Organize your thoughts in your head before telling someone how you feel.
- Step 2: Make time Set aside time to meet with the person you want to talk to.
- TIP: Pick an environment without distractions.
- Step 3: Be confident Be confident and go for it. Speak your mind and express issues that are important to you. Speak calmly, and stick to the points you want to get across. Don't distract from your message by veering off-topic.
- Step 4: Be honest Keep eye contact with that person and be honest with how you're feeling.
- Step 5: Be empathetic Be empathetic to the person you are talking to by giving them the chance to respond. Avoid interrupting them.
- Step 6: Resolve issues Once you've spoken up, try to resolve any lingering issues on both sides, and feel good about expressing your feelings.
- FACT: During the Great Depression, Dale Carnegie wrote How to Win Friends and Influence People, which inspired readers and job-seekers to learn proper communication skills. Copies flew off shelves at 5,000 a day.
You Will Need