- : The procedure for changing your car's headlight will vary based on your car's make an model. Make sure you have your owner's manual and service manual handy.
- Step 1: Check your owner's manual Check your owner's manual or go to an auto parts store to determine what type of bulb you need. Purchase a replacement bulb, or if you have an older-model vehicle, a replacement headlight.
- Step 2: Open the hood Depending on the make and model of your car, open the engine compartment hood and locate the back of the headlight, or access the headlight by loosening the front fender. Remove screws for access to the bulb, and unscrew the bulb from its socket.
- TIP: Refer to your car's service manual to find specific instructions that will help you access the bulb and ensure it's connected correctly.
- Step 3: Replace the bulb Wearing gloves, remove the bulb from the package. Gently place it into the headlight compartment, and tighten. Screw all of the parts back in place and test to make sure you have a solid connection.
- TIP: Don't touch the glass with your bare hands, or you'll risk ruining your new bulb.
- Step 4: Check the bulb Turn on your car and check that the new bulb works properly, and then head off into the night.
- FACT: "The Charge of the Light Brigade," a poem by Alfred Tennyson, memorialized a battle in the Crimean War.
You Will Need
- Owner's manual
- Service manual
- Auto parts store
- Replacement bulb or headlight
- Second bulb (optional)