- Step 1: Insert a drill bit Open the chuck on the drill and insert a bit between its jaws.
- Step 2: Secure the drill bit Tighten the jaws to secure the bit.
- Step 3: Mark a drilling position Use a pencil to mark the position where you intend to drill.
- Step 4: Position the drill in your hands Hold the head of the drill with one hand, using your body weight to apply pressure. Hold the handle of the brace with your other hand.
- Step 5: Position the drill over the pencil mark Position the drill so the bit is centered on the pencil mark.
- TIP: Make sure the drill bit is 90 degrees square to the work surface.
- Step 6: Start drilling Push down on the drill's head and turn the crank clockwise until the bit goes through the object being drilled.
- TIP: You may have to reset the ratchet mechanism for clockwise motion.
- Step 7: Remove the drill from the object Reverse the ratchet mechanism, and then turn the crank, pulling on the head to remove the bit from the object.
- Step 8: Remove the bit from the drill Open the chuck and remove the bit. Close the chuck.
- FACT: The United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon is a 24-man rifle platoon that performs drill exhibitions.
You Will Need
- Brace drill
- Drill bit