- Step 1: Build the fire in a high place Build your fire in a high place so it is visible.
- Step 2: Make smoke Smother the fire and create smoke by adding grass, green sticks, and wet branches to fire.
- Step 3: Direct the smoke Direct the smoke using a wet blanket. Hold the blanket over the fire, and let the smoke build up under it. Remove the blanket to send up a puff.
- Step 4: Communicate through code Communicate through a code. Work out a code ahead of time with your crush, or use Morse code if both of you know it.
- TIP: Avoid using 3 puffs of smoke in your code as this is often considered an alarm signal.
- Step 5: Say hello Say hello using your code.
- Step 6: Compliment Compliment your crush. Spell out "you're cute" with the smoke signals. Keep the conversation light because you're flirting and because the smoke limits how much you can say.
- Step 7: Arrange to meet up Conclude your smoke signal conversation, after you've gotten a good response from your crush, by agreeing to meet after curfew, and you'll be in for a hot evening.
- FACT: The Vatican uses smoke signals when selecting a new pope. Black smoke means no pope has been selected, and white smoke means there is a new pope.
You Will Need
- green sticks
- or wet branches
- Wet blanket