- Step 1: Determine your audience Determine your audience. List corporations as well as small businesses that cater to a similar demographic.
- Step 2: Develop a marketing plan Compile information for a 20-second telephone pitch and a packet of printed marketing materials explaining your organization, goals, and the event. Tailor the information to each contact and emphasize how your event will help their company.
- TIP: Contact a marketing or promotional company if you need assistance.
- Step 3: Give back Determine what you will give back to the company if they commit to sponsoring. Print and online advertisements with their logo and company information are attractive incentives. Include this information with the packet.
- TIP: Develop different levels of sponsorship -- the more they give the better the return.
- Step 4: Follow up Call or e-mail all the companies you contacted two to three weeks after mailing the information. Make sure they received your packet and ask if they have any questions. Try to determine their level of interest.
- Step 5: Thank everyone Thank everyone you contacted. Send a thank you letter to everyone that contributed.
- Step 6: Fulfill your promises Fulfill all your promises to your sponsors. If they are happy with the success of your event they are more likely to sponsor your organization again in the future.
- FACT: The Coca-Cola company has sponsored the Olympics since the 1928 games in Amsterdam.
You Will Need
- Telephone pitch
- Marketing materials
- Thank-you notes
- Marketing or promotional company (optional)