- Step 1: Earn a degree Earn at least a Bachelor's degree. Many states also require that teachers hold a Master's degree, or earn one shortly after being hired.
- TIP: Check with your state's Department of Education about the specific requirements for teacher certification where you live.
- Step 2: Earn a credential Earn a teaching credential. A credential allows you to teach either a specific grade level or a certain subject matter.
- Step 3: Earn an endorsement Earn an endorsement if you want to teach a subject in secondary school not covered by your teaching credential. An example would be secondary teacher certification with a math endorsement. You're on the road to a rewarding career.
- FACT: Teacher's College at Columbia University was founded in 1887.
You Will Need
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Department of Education (optional)