- Step 1: Tuck in a ball Tuck yourself in a small ball with your arms around your knees, grasping the towline handle and your board perpendicular to the back of the boat.
- Step 2: Get on top Rock forward on top of the board once the boat idles and begins to pull you. Keep your arms extended and let the boat pull you up.
- TIP: As you're coming up on the top of the water with your weight forward, keep your toes up and heels down.
- Step 3: Plane on the surface Allow the board, still perpendicular, to plane on top of the water. You'll notice this when your board begins to move smoother on the water.
- TIP: Do not stand up too early before the board is planing, because your face will be in the water.
- Step 4: Stand up Stand up and shift your lead foot, usually your left foot, forward. Turn your front hip to the handle to get into a straight riding position. You're off.
- FACT: In 1985, surfer Tony Finn developed the Skurfer, a hybrid combo of waterski and surfboard, which would later turn into the wakeboard.
You Will Need
- Ski boat