- Step 1: Cook a fresh turkey Cook a fresh turkey. Packaged and frozen turkeys may be supplemented with salt, salted butter, or MSG.
- TIP: Read the label carefully if you buy a turkey that is not fresh.
- Step 2: Prepare unsalted vegetables Prepare fresh or no-salt-added frozen vegetable for the meal.
- Step 3: Use no-salt-added butter Use no-salt-added butter in recipes that call for butter.
- Step 4: Use low-salt broths Use no-salt-added or low-sodium broths.
- Step 5: Use salt substitutes Season your entrees with salt substitutes.
- Step 6: Save room for the pie Use low-sodium versions of whipped cream products on your pies. Since you've cut down on sodium so much everywhere else, go ahead and splurge on some sodium-rich pumpkin pie!
- FACT: Early Roman soldiers were paid partially in salt, hence the word salary.
You Will Need
- Fresh turkey
- Unsalted vegetables
- No-salt-added butter
- Low-sodium broths
- Salt substitute
- Low-sodium whipped cream
- Pumpkin pie