- Step 1: Locate a roasting stick Look for a green forked branch to use as a roasting stick.
- TIP: The branch should be 3 to 4 feet in length so that you don't have to get too close to the fire.
- Step 2: Build a campfire Build a campfire and let it burn down to glowing orange coals.
- Step 3: Strip the roasting stick Strip the bark from the last 6 inches of the roasting stick using a sharp knife while waiting for the fire to burn down.
- Step 4: Skewer the wiener Skewer the hot dog on the forked end of the roasting stick.
- Step 5: Roast the wiener Roast the frank over the hot coals until it is fully cooked. This should take about five minutes. Once you've mastered wieners, you can move on to marshmallows!
- FACT: The modern sausage in a bun was called a "hot dog" for the first time at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904.
You Will Need
- Hot coals