- Step 1: Find a soup kitchen Look through your phone book or search online to find a soup kitchen in your area.
- Step 2: Contact the soup kitchen Contact the soup kitchen and talk to their volunteer coordinator to find out what they need.
- Step 3: Find out about training Ask if you will need a training session. Some volunteer positions involve more than serving food, and you may need to be trained.
- TIP: There are many possible jobs, including serving food, preparing food, setting up tables, and cleaning up.
- Step 4: Show up early Arrive early for your shift so you can get instructions, prepare, and meet the other volunteers with whom you'll work.
- Step 5: Prepare yourself Find out about the issues that the homeless and hungry in your area are interested in to prepare yourself for working with them.
- Step 6: Smile Smile and help out in any way you can. Remember -- that's why you're there.
- FACT: There were an estimated 107,000 homeless veterans in the United States in 2009.
You Will Need
- Phone book
- Internet access
- Volunteer coordinator