- Step 1: Mount the camera Mount the camera on the tripod.
- Step 2: Create a composition Create the photo's composition using yourself as the model by employing elements of design such as lines, texture, and patterns. These will draw the eye to yourself as the composition focal point.
- TIP: Include personal belongings in the composition to express personality.
- Step 3: Ask a friend to serve as a stand-in Ask a friend to serve as a stand-in, or place a stuffed animal in your position, while you focus the camera and adjust lighting.
- Step 4: Set the timer Set the timer and hop back into position to shoot your self-portrait, or use a triggering device to take the photo after you return to position.
- Step 5: Try alternative methods Try alternative methods to take photographs of yourself, like shooting your reflection in the mirror. You may find that the photo you take not only reveals your personality to others, but causes you to discover something new about yourself, too.
- FACT: George Eastman's Kodak camera launched the amateur photography craze in 1888.
You Will Need
- Timer or triggering device
- Personal belongings (optional)